There are a number of factors to consider when thinking about setting up a Childcare/Pre School or School Aged service, such as:
- Do you have the correct qualifications? Further info
- Have you obtained Garda Vetting
- Is your First Aid Certificate up to date?
- What type of service do you want to provide? Click here for more information
- In what area do you want to provide the service, do you have premises in mind?
- Is there a need for childcare/school aged care in the area proposed?
- How accessible is the service in terms of parking, ease of access, situation to main road?
- Where are the nearest other childcare/school aged services?
- How much will it cost to set up?
The pre school sector has been governed by the Childcare (Pre School Services) (No 2) Regulations 2006 until the 30th June 2016
The Minister for Children and Youth Affairs, published the Child Care Regulations (the Child Care Act 1991 (Early Years Services) Regulations 2016)on the 4th May 2016. These Regulations will come into effect on a phased basis from 30th June 2016. The new Regulations provide for pre-school services, that is, those services catering for children under the age of 6 who are not attending primary school. Hard copys can be purchased from Government Publications, 52 St. Stephens Green, Dublin 2. Telephone 01 676834 or 1890213434
Want to know more about setting up a service ? Download WxCCC’s guide
What is school aged childcare?
School aged childcare is a service which is provided for parents/guardians of children/young people attending Primary School before their school day starts, after school finishes, during the school holidays and days off from school. The service will have regular opening hours and operate policies and procedures and curricula which reflect the age range of the children/young people attending the service.
School aged childcare services provide children/young people with the chance to be with friends, and take part in play and recreational activities in a safe and supportive place they call theirs. Some services may provide children with the opportunity to complete some homework.
If you have any questions about setting up a Childcare/Pre-School service or School Aged Service contactEithne or Jillian at WxCCC on 053-9237156 / 053-9239763.